Acute & Transitional Care
UCSF provides both adult and pediatric acute and transitional care management at our Parnassus and Mission Bay campuses.
Inpatient Acute and Transitional care services at Parnassus and Mission Bay include General Medical-Surgical Care, Mother/Baby and Fetal Surgery (Mission Bay only), Medical and Surgical management of patients with Cardiac and Neurologic diseases, Hematology/Oncology/Bone Marrow Transplant, Solid Organ Transplant (Heart, Lung, Liver, Renal, and Pancreas), Orthopaedics/Spine, Plastic Surgery, Internal Medicine, and Acute Care for the Elderly (Parnassus only).
All nurses are required to have Life Support Certifications germane to their area of practice. In order to provide competent care in emergency situations, both adult and pediatric nurses participate in mock code programs. Additionally, many of our nurses hold certifications within their area of specialty and maintain a variety of advanced competencies including telemetry monitoring, management of IV Prostacyclines, ventricular assist devices, complex drain management, and continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis.
Our nurses participate in a variety of councils to improve patient care and further nursing practice and research, provide professional development for their staff, as well as support the diverse needs of their patient populations and families. In each unit, the nurses at UCSF are an integral part of the interdisciplinary team that, in conjunction with the patient and family, develop and provide an individualized and safe passage through the UCSF medical system.
- Birth Center (Mother/Baby)
- Adult Acute Surgical Oncology
- Pediatric Medical-Surgical
- Pediatric Transitional Care
- Pediatric Cardiac Transitional Care
- Pediatric Hematology/Oncology/Bone Marrow Transplant
- Adult Acute Medical
- Adult Acute Surgical
- Adult Acute Medical/Surgical
- Adult Neurology and Neurosurgery
- Adult Neurology and Neurosurgery Transitional Care
- Adult Renal, Liver, and Pancreas Transplant
- Adult Cardiovascular Care, including heart and lung transplant
- Adult Hematology/Oncology/Bone Marrow Transplant
- Orthopedics and Spine Care
- Adult Surgical Transitional Care
- Adult Medical Transitional Care
- Internal Medicine and Acute Care of the Elderly