Welcome to UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital! The goal of Nursing orientation is to provide relevant and meaningful information to new employees that supports their role as a Nurse at UCSF.
There are two main parts to Nursing orientation at UCSF: Centralized and Unit-based. The centralized orientation is facilitated by our Clinical Nurse Educators who provide content on a variety of Nursing topics using multiple learning modalities such hands-on training, simulation, and group discussion. This is complemented by unit-specific orientation, when new staff learn about the specifics of caring for patients in the area they will be working. This includes being assigned to experienced preceptors that will guide on caring for their unique patient population.
The following information outlines online modules, resources and FAQ’s which are covered during orientation.
Mandatory Modules for Nurses*
These modules are located on UCSF's learning management system (UC Learning Center). In order to log in, an employee identification number is required. NOTE: Temporarily disable any pop-up blockers on the browser to complete the modules.
- Annual Safety Training (average completion time: 60 minutes)
- Infection Control Training for Nurses (average completion time: 60 minutes)
- Pathway Wayfinding Training Video (average completion time: 15 minutes)
- UCSF Safe Patient Handling (40 minutes)
- AIDET and Managing Up (30 minutes)
*For career/per diem staff, all of these modules are completed during the HR New Employee Orientation except for UCSF Safe Patient Handling
Traveler Nurses should contact your agency and/or the traveler coordinators to confirm orientation schedules and requirements prior to starting assignments. At least one week prior to the start date, completion of mandatory modules listed above is required. To obtain your employee ID number, please contact your agency and/or travel coordinators
- 2018 Department of Nursing Orientation Schedule (RNs and PCAs)
- 2017 Department of Nursing Orientation Schedule (RNs and PCAs)
- RNO Tip Sheet
- Maps of the Campus and Hospitals