Our Mission, Philosophy & Strategic Plan
The Mission, Vision and Values of UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital convey the reasons we exist as an organization, what we aspire to as an organization and the way we will work to get there.
Our mission — the reason we exist — is Caring, Healing, Teaching and Discovering.
Our vision — what we want to be — is to be the best provider of health care services, the best place to work and the best environment for teaching and research.
Our values statement — our guide to the individual and organizational behavior we expect — is embodied in the acronym PRIDE:
- P for Professionalism, how we conduct ourselves and our business
- R for Respect for our patients, families, ourselves and each other
- I for Integrity, always doing the honest, right thing
- D for Diversity, understanding and embracing the diverse beliefs, needs and expectations of our patients, community and employees
- E for Excellence, what we strive for in everything we do
We, the professional nurses at UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital are committed to:
- Compassionate care and advocacy for all patients, families and the community.
- Excellence in nursing care delivery that is grounded in a holistic approach to the patient and family, acknowledging that their individual responses are influenced by culture, religion, ethnicity and lifestyle.
- Taking responsibility for assessing, developing, implementing and evaluating evidence-based multidisciplinary care, incorporating patient and family values and preferences.
- Integrating ethics with interpersonal, intellectual and technical skills in providing evidence-based comprehensive care to patients.
- Supporting a culture of caring and nurturing one another by maintaining an environment of unconditional mutual respect.
Our Strategic Plan
- Integrate the highest level of quality in all standards and aspects of nursing practice to positively improve patient outcomes, include ongoing efforts to improve workplace safety
- Foster effective communication and collaboration within and between Patient Care Services and other departments and professional disciplines
- Provide education, training and strategic support for staff to develop their maximum professional potential
- Recruit and retain highly professional nursing staff
- Leverage technology to improve patient care delivery