The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is ranked among the nation’s top four nursing schools, according to a new survey conducted by U.S. News & World Report.
by Kristen Bole
Results are published in the magazine’s 2012 edition of “America’s Best Graduate Schools,” which appeared online March 15 and will be available on newsstands on April 5.
The report ranks the UCSF School of Nursing fourth overall and first nationwide in the nursing specialties of family nurse practitioner, psychiatric/mental health clinical nursing, and adult/medical surgical nursing.
The rankings also include previous assessments of other types of schools, which U.S. News surveys, but not on an annual basis. UCSF School of Medicine also ranked fourth in the new rankings, while the survey included a previous first-place ranking for the School of Pharmacy.
“These rankings showcase the high quality of UCSF’s educational and research enterprise across the board," said UCSF Chancellor Susan Desmond-Hellmann, MD, MPH. “But moving beyond the numbers, they reflect the excellence and hard work of all the UCSF faculty and staff and the breadth of experience available to every student who comes here to study.”
According to the magazine, the overall Nursing school rankings are based on surveys sent last fall to deans, administrators, and faculty at programs in those fields. The nursing specialty programs are ranked on input from educators at peer nursing institutions, who nominated up to 10 schools for excellence in each area; schools with the most votes are listed.
US News and World Report America's Best Graduate School Report - Nursing
1. Johns Hopkins University - Baltimore, MD
1. University of Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, PA
1. University of Washington - Seattle, WA
4. University of California San Francisco - San Francisco, CA
4. University of North Carolina Chapel Hill- Chapel Hill, NC
6. University of Michigan Ann Arbor - Ann Arbor, MI
7. Duke University - Durham, NC
7. Oregon Health and Science University - Portland, OR
7. University of Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh, PA
7. Yale University - New Haven, CT